Thank you for your interest in working for On-Belay!
On Belay is seeking a professional who is experienced in adventure based programming and passionate about working with youth to serve as our Program Director for our small non-profit (<$150,000 annual budget). The Program Director will work with children aged 8-18 whose lives have been impacted by a family member’s cancer through year round adventure programming including indoor climbing, hiking, challenge course, backpacking, and cross country skiing.
This position is for a professional experienced in youth programming and outdoor education. The Program Director (PD) will be responsible for coordinating and managing On Belay programs (11 per year). This entails working with program locations, program facilitators, volunteers, participants, and participants’ families. A successful candidate will be a team player and be flexible in wearing many hats for this small organization. It is critical that the person in this position be a relationship builder and able to make quick connections with children of all ages as well as their parents/guardians. Even more important is that the successful candidate will be able to help kids connect to each other and to their own inner resilience.
- Organize and plan adventure programs for youth, such as climbing, challenge courses, winter hiking, and backpacking (11 programs per year, approximately one program per month including several overnight programs)
- Manage groups of 8-30 youth (ages 8-18) while facilitating a program curriculum to achieve On Belay’s goals and mission
- Maintain web-based program registration system and calendar for all youth programs
- Regularly communicate via phone, email and email marketing, with participant families
- Recruit, train, coordinate, and supervise program volunteers
- Coordinate and collaborate with various program sites and partners to ensure programs reflect the goals of On Belay programs
- Manage and coordinate contracts with all On Belay partners
- Develop and execute program plans to achieve the goals of On Belay programs
- Build community among participants, families, and volunteers
Experience and Required Skills
- Proven record of success working with children in an experiential education environment and trip leadership.
- Experience facilitating and executing adventure programs
- Proficiency in speaking to groups of all sizes and people of all ages
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to track multiple projects/tasks at once
- Highly effective written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable with working in a self-directed role independently as well as collaborating with a small team and nonprofit board of directors
- Ability to work in an outdoor setting year-round
- Interest and ability to think strategically about On Belay’s programs and the potential for growth in it’s program offerings
Additional desirable qualifications
- Prior nonprofit experience
- Wilderness First Responder or willingness to obtain certification
- AMC Center for Outdoor Learning and Leadership Outdoor Leadership Training or ability to attend Outdoor Leadership Training
- Knowledge of donor software, website design, email marketing, social media, and Google Suite
This position is currently part time (30 hours per week including some weekend work) and the salary range is $20 to $23 per hour, commensurate with experience.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter on our Indeed.com posting HERE.