Frequently Asked Questions
What does “On Belay” mean?
- Belay means to secure or to hold fast. The phrase “On belay” is the traditional verbal agreement used by climbers to signal the start of a new challenge and a shared responsibility. Our programs creates a sense of community in which participants learn what it means to be “on belay” for each other.
How old do you have to be to attend?
- Our programs are for ages 8-18.
How much does On Belay cost?
- Our programs are free thanks to generous community support and our board who is committed to keeping our programs available at no cost to families.
Where do you offer programs?
- Our programs are available to anyone who is able to come. Currently, we offer programs in the Seacoast area of New Hampshire, Southern Maine including Portland, and the North Shore of Massachusetts. At this time we are not able to offer programs in other areas. If you are interested in an “On Belay” program in your area, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to share our thoughts and feedback with you.
When do programs take place?
- We offer several programs throughout the year, generally speaking every 7-8 weeks. Please check out our Upcoming Programs to see what’s available for the next year.
Does On Belay provide transportation?
- No. Occasionally we may offer transportation for a specific program however, most often we ask that families drop their kids off.
How long is a typical program?
- Our Challenge Course Programs are one day in length, generally from 9 am- 4pm. Our Indoor Climbing Programs are generally 3 hours in length and are either in the morning or evening. Please see the Upcoming Programs page for specific times for individual programs.
Is On Belay a therapeutic program?
- No, we do not provide therapy. Our staff and volunteers are trained in the art of fun and adventure and our programs are aimed at giving kids a chance to take a “day off” from their families illness. While we do not offer traditional therapy, many of our participants find our programs a safe place to share their thoughts.